Food delivery apps like DoorDash, Zomato, and UberEats are becoming increasingly popular these days, generating profitable revenues.
However, if you are looking to build an app like DoorDash, you are at the right place, reading this article.
This article will guide you with the complete solution to make a delivery app, including must-have features, a technology stack, and the steps that are required to develop a food delivery application.
Let’s get started!
Why is An App Business Like DoorDash a Good Idea?
These stats prove why you’re on the right track if you are looking to build an app like DoorDash:
- DoorDash is the most popular food delivery app in the United States, bringing together restaurants, customers, and delivery companies on a single platform.
- How many users does DoorDash have? The site has 18 million users, with the bulk hailing from the United States.
- DoorDash controls more than 42% of the US meal delivery business, according to Edison Trends.
- In 2020, DoorDash boosted its sales by 241% to $2.9 billion, up from $850 million in 2018.
What is DoorDash?
DoorDash is a food delivery company that connects customers, restaurants, and delivery providers on a single platform to meet their needs.
It is a digital platform that allows users to search for restaurants, examine menus, read reviews, order meals, and have them delivered to their homes with real-time monitoring. Furthermore, restaurants get the ability to increase their exposure and presence, as well as engage consumers, while also gaining a vast and trusted delivery partner.
DoorDash’s ordering process is 100% stress-free. To find something unique, simply go through the list of participating establishments or use the search box. A delivery time is specified by each restaurant. Both iOS and Android smartphones are supported by the application.
Types of food delivery applications
The model of the food ordering apps like DoorDash is determined according to the company’s goal, and requirements. However, below mentioned are the most common business models for food delivery applications.
- Order-only model:- Order-only model links customers with local restaurants and allows them to communicate with one another. Hence, this type of order-only model helps restaurants to increase their order rate. Examples: GrubHub, JustEat.
- Order and delivery model:- This type of model employs delivery service. The app owner handles orders and food delivery through the app and earns a commission from restaurants as well as a delivery charge for each order placed through the app. Examples: UberEats, DoorDash.
- Fully-integrated model:- In this type of food delivery model, the application owner manages everything in the mobile app, from food preparation to delivery. Despite the fact that this is a pricey strategy, the app owner has control over delivery speed, service efficiency, and food quality, resulting in great user happiness and increased income.
Benefits of developing an app like DoorDash
Developing an app like DoorDash is quite useful in today’s industry when user usage of online services is increasing.
Food delivery app development may help businesses owing to consumer demand and awareness. Let’s look at the greatest benefits of developing delivery apps like DoorDash.
- Rapid increase in Sales:- Due to on-demand food delivery applications, the restaurant industry has grown by 20-25 percent in the last year. Furthermore, since 2014, the increase of online food delivery has been 300 percent, three times faster than the growth of dine-in traffic.
- Cloud Kitchen’s Adoption:- For companies wishing to establish a virtual restaurant or commissary kitchen, food delivery apps are a great option. This startup connects food entrepreneurs with commercial kitchens to help them open virtual eateries.
- Expanding Market Share:- On-demand food delivery applications account for around 10% of the market. They presented unique and enticing deals to promote sales in order to reach this milestone. As a result, food delivery app development has grown faster than other categories, with millions of app downloads and delighted consumers.
- Usability convenience:- Food delivery applications make life easier for customers, restaurants, and delivery drivers. Customers may select their favorite cuisine from a variety of places, compare them, and select the best option.
Key Features of a Food Delivery App like DoorDash
The following listed are the top features of an app to make a food delivery app unique and popular. These DoorDash features are divided into three categories: Features for customer app, features for delivery personnel app, and features for partner restaurant app.
|Customer app||Delivery personnel app||Panel restaurant app|
|Making a purchase||Profile options||Contact information|
|Payment options||Status update||Admin Panel|
|Search bar||In-app navigation||Order administration|
|Reviews and ratings|
Features for customer app
- Registration:- Customers must be able to rapidly enter into their accounts and retain whatever custom configurations they may have made since the previous time they logged in.
- Making a purchase:- Your customer should be able to rapidly add, remove, or modify their favorite orders. If the client wishes to cancel or amend the purchase, a review of the order must be provided before the final order is released.
- Payment options:- Make sure you provide your consumers with a variety of payment methods that allow them to complete any action safely and quickly.
- Finding a Restaurant:- Make a list of all the restaurants and eateries that are available to your consumers. They may readily access information such as a menu, special offers/discounts, reviews, and so on.
- Choosing a specific drop place:- Making sure your users can discover the correct drop point is critical so that they can have your food at home, work, or wherever they are.
- Reviewing and rating:- Using this feature, the customer must be able to score the product on a scale of one to five stars and write a descriptive review.
Features for delivery personnel app
- Order management:- Order management software would allow delivery personnel to either accept or reject a delivery request by booking/rejecting it.
- Starting with a profile:- Before they begin making deliveries for the organization, delivery personnel must identify themselves. They must ‘log in’ to their app to include all personal information such as mobile phone number, social networking site, email address, and other vital information.
- Status update:- Update on the status of the project and the chance to contact the customer. The status update feature allows the delivery consultant to track their whereabouts so that the consumer always knows where their order is.
- In-app navigation:- This functionality can assist the delivery provider in getting to and from the pick-up location, as well as precisely and promptly dropping the order.
Features for partner restaurant app
- Registration:- This common feature is accessible in both the customer and delivery staff models. To be included on the list, the restaurant must first register with an email address and create a password.
- Update contact information:- All partner restaurants must update their contact information, name, opening hours, address, and other data, among other things, on their app.
- Admin/Merchant Control Panel:- The admin portal empowers partner restaurants to oversee the whole process, from the order placing to competent delivery requests to restaurant administration.
- Order Administration:- The restaurant must have a method in place to manage orders once they have been placed. They require capabilities such as a clear description of the order, the ability to monitor the order’s status, and the ability to send updates to the delivery agent when the order is ready for delivery and to the client when the order is authorized.
Technology stack for a food delivery app like DoorDash
- User Location- Google Places API, Core Location Framework
- Find Directions- Google Map, MapKit
- Admin Panel- Laravel
- Analytics- Google Analytics
- Utilities- Twilio Sendgrid, Google Analytics, Stripe, Optimizely, and Segment
- DevOps– Github, Docker, Jenkins, WebPack, New Relic, Yarn, and Sentry
- Business Tools: Jira, GSuite, and AdRoll
- Backend Language- NodeJs, Python, PHP, Golang
- Database- Cassandra, SQLite, Firebase, MongoDB, Hbase, cloud SQL
- Cloud- AWS, Azure
- Caching- Redis
- Message Broker- Rabbitmq
- Payment- PayPal, Stripe, Razorpay, Square API, Braintree
Progressive Web Apps (PWA) Guide:- PWA Mobile App Guide for Business Owners
Steps to Build an App Like DoorDash
How to start a company like DoorDash?
When developing a successful food ordering app, you may encounter several difficulties. In this case, these steps can assist you in standing out from the pack. Let’s go into some specifics:
Step #1: Find your target audience
You may be wondering why we would ask you to select a target audience when you already know you want to make a delivery app like DoorDash. Keep in mind that you are looking for software similar to DoorDash, not the same business or demographic. If you want to stand out from the crowd, you must think beyond the box. Determine your target audience’s income, age, geography, and other essential information.
Step #2: Build collaborations
Food delivery firms must expand their market reach and provide more alternatives to their clients. As a result, extend a handshake to major grocery stores, restaurants, and food manufacturers in your service region. Building collaborations with these companies will help increase your company’s visibility in the market, resulting in a better market share.
Step #3: Appoint Delivery Drivers
The choice to choose a delivery executive is important. Many firms put delivery people on their payroll, while others value the contact technique. When recruiting delivery specialists, seek CEOs that have their car or bicycle to finish the delivery procedure. You may also seek freelancers on a contract basis, which are a less expensive possibility, particularly for startups.
Step #4: App development
For this step to be undertaken, you must have a team of developers and designers capable of completely understanding your concept. Choosing a custom development firm can help you even better and meet your requirements explicitly. Because of the enhanced functionality that a custom solution delivers, custom software development is a means to get a competitive advantage in the market.
Need a DoorDash like app? Hire Ailoitte Technologies as your Mobile App Development Company. We will assist you from the beginning to the deployment and even in the maintenance of the app!
DoorDash revenue model
Aspiring entrepreneurs must understand how food delivery companies like DoorDash make money. The model gave you the freedom to choose your company strategy:
- Restaurant Advertising on DoorDash:- DoorDash is a service that allows restaurants to advertise their services. Everyone aspires to be on the front page of Google. As a result, DoorDash capitalizes on the rat race that exists among other food providers. For marketing and ads on its app, the meal delivery service charges a fee. It assists eateries in staying on top of their game while also providing substantial savings.
- Delivery charges:- DoorDash employs drivers, sometimes known as Dashers, to guarantee that food is delivered safely and on schedule. Customers are charged delivery fees based on the distance traveled. The average shipping fee per order is between $5 and $8.
- Commission on each order:- DoorDash brings restaurant cuisine right to the customer’s door. Food firms profit handsomely as a result of this. On every order, DoorDash charges the restaurant owners 15 percent (Basic), 25 percent (Plus), or 30 percent (Premier) fees. Customers pay greater delivery fees and the service region is limited with the basic plan. Restaurants can seek a fee return if they choose the premium plan, which has the lowest charge and ensures 20 deliveries per month.
How much does it cost to build an app like DoorDash?
For most of us, estimating the exact cost of delivery apps like DoorDash is challenging. The calculations are based on various aspects of the development process.
The initial cost to make a food delivery app is determined by the number of development hours required for the project.
We should begin by conducting research and planning, which might take up to 30 hours. Similarly, implementing simple functionality might take more than 150 hours or more. Further, if we are working on visual prototypes, then it may take more than 40 hours to complete.
The next stage is to choose a platform for the application’s design, which might take up to 120 hours. Android and iOS platforms are among the development platforms that must be chosen before the start of the development of food delivery apps. If we were to go with iOS development, it would take at least 650 hours to finish.
Similarly, if you want to acquire Android development, you’ll need more than 690 hours. In the following step, we’ll focus on back-end development, which should take roughly 225 hours or more to accomplish. Finally, the administration panel would take more than 60 hours to complete. The development team of the firm is charging for these entire work hours.
To summarize, the iOS food delivery app development cost would be roughly 1275 hours or more. The usual hourly charge for development should be approximately $50. If we add together those numbers, the final estimate might be approximately $63,000 or more. If we engaged a development business from a nation other than India, the statistics would be similar.
The food delivery app development cost might be decreased to roughly $22,000 because India has the lowest development rate. India, according to research, provides development services for as little as $18 to $30 per hour.
You may read our guide on Mobile App Development Cost to learn in detail about the Average Cost By Industry & Type.
Creating an app like DoorDash is incredibly useful for the present market climate since the scales are expected to rise. With a large market share, the industry offers a fantastic opportunity for a new firm.
Allow us to assist you in planning your food delivery app development cost for your business, delivering exceptional service—and entering the market with a boom!
Fill out a simple form on our Mobile App Cost Estimation page and get a cost estimate in no time!